Some of my operational equipment

Heathkit GR91. This is not the restoration GR91 seen in the Restoration Project page but rather a second GR91 I picked up on eBay. I had a GR91 when I was in high school. It’s fully assembled and complete, ready to use.

The microphone switch box front view. The Pyle PDMICR42 plugs into a 1/4″ “Mono” socket while the D-104 plugs into a 1/4″ “Stereo” socket. The Toggle switch selects which microphone is being used. The Pyle PDMICR42 output is a low impedance balance output. The Apache requires a high impedance unbalanced output. There is a Shure A85F low balanced to high unbalanced impedance transformer that plugs directly into the base of the PDMICR42 microphone.

Microphone switch box rear view showing the connections to the Foot Switch and the microphone input cable to the Apache (Radio MIC). The RADIO MIC 1/4″ plug is a stereo with TIP as PTT and Ring as Mic audio and Sleeve as ground. All cables are shielded cables. The Foot Switch is used only with the Pyle PDMICR42R microphone. The D-104 uses its own PTT switch.

The completed ground up (Bare chassis) restoration of my Heathkit AR3 four band short wave receiver. The receiver was completely disassembled, the chassis was sanded to clear all corrosion and discoloration, then the chassis was painted with Rustolium Special Metallic Copper paint. All new wiring, new mounting hardware screws, washers, and nuts were used. All new resistors and most capacitors. A new capacitor can from Hayseedhamfest.com was ordered to replace the physically leaking original capacitor can. New 7 and 8 pin tube sockets replaced the old wafer type sockets. New shielded cable replaced the spring type shielded wiring. All rubber grommets were replaced with new grommets. A fuse holder with proper fuse and new polarized power cord were installed. New #47 dial lamps replaced the original dark discolored #47 lamps. New clear dial Plexiglas cover was installed. The front panel was thoroughly cleaned with Windex and given 2 coats of Armor-All. The knobs were scrubbed with a tooth brush and Simple Green in the kitchen sink then cleaned again with Armor-All. The variable capacitors were thoroughly cleaned and the capacitors’ bearings were lubricated with DeoXit L260ap conductive grease. The cabinet was cleaned with Simple Green, removing years of grime, dirt, and grease.

Rear view of the Heathkit AR-3 complete ground up bare chassis restoration.

My Hallicrafters S-40B four band short wave receiver. I picked this receiver up on eBay. The seller said it worked but I didn’t trust that as I found numerous components, especially power supply resistors, were blown. The front panel was a mess so it was sanded down and painted Rustolium Satin Black. New control decals were purchased from Radio Daze and applied. Two coast of clear coat was applied after the decals dried over night. The cabinet was sanded and sprayed Rustolium Satin Black to match the front panel. The dial lamps were dipped in Green paint so the dial would appear “Green” instead of “White” even though the original dials are dark green. The Heathkit QF-1 Q-Multiplier that sits on top is powered from a separate power supply. I installed a 455Khz IF output BNC on the rear panel. The S40B works very well when band conditions are good.

Main AM station consisting of a 1958 Heathkit Apache TX1 on the left, a 1954 Hallicrafters SX-71 on the right, a Red Pyle PDMICR42 microphone mounted on a floor stand, a Shure A85F inline low Z balanced to high Z unbalance transformer plugged directly into the base of the microphone and a Dragonpad Pop Filter.

Restored Hallicrafters PM-23 speaker. I obtained this speaker enclosure from Tom at Hayseedhamfest.com. It was in poor shape, paint had peeled off most of the enclosure, the speaker was missing as was the original speaker wooden mounting. I stripped the cabinet of all paint, sanded and painted with Rustolium Satin Black. The grilles were removed, rubbed down with wire brush then painted Chrome paint. A new 5/8″ plywood speaker mount was made, a new 8 inch 8 ohm woofer was purchased, and new mounting hardware was used. The speaker works and looks great.

My 1958 Hallicrafters S-107 5 band shortwave receiver.

My 1959 Hallicrafters S-108 four band shortwave receiver. In high school I always wanted an S-108 but could never afford one. I picked this one up on ebay. I replaced all the plastic coated paper capacitors and the metal capacitor can with components in the hayseedhamfest.com S-108 capacitor kit. Replaced burnt out #47 dial lamps.

My 1961 Hallicrafters SX-110 four band short wave receiver. I picked this one up on ebay before the above S-180. tI replaced the band spread dial with a new dial from Radio Daze. All paper and electrolytic caps were replaced as were burnt out dial lamps. The ANT TRIM, STANDBY/REC and BFO PITCH knobs were missing. I was able to pick up replacements from a ham friend. New sheet metal screws, speed nuts, and a thorough cleaning of the chassis was done. The cabinet was lightly sanded then painted light gray with a coat of clean polyurethane applied to the cabinet. The receiver alignment was still very good, only a slight adjustment of the IF cans was needed. The receiver works great and is fun to operate.